I'm Not That Mom

I'm Not That Mom
Series: I'm Not That Mom

Just My Opinion

Just My Opinion
Series: Just My Opinion

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things
Series: My Favorite Things

Happy National Dog Mom's Day, literally. To our Remi.


I am a dog mom. In the 'I have huge feelings and am ultimately responsible for the wellbeing of 2 Cane Corso Mastiffs' sense. They are my (other) babies! But once upon a time, they had babies of their own. Ten of them. And so, in recognition of the glorious holiday known as National Dog Mom's Day, I would like to honor my Dog baes, tell you about my experience as a temporary Grandma, and how it all came to be.

Capone and Remi did not have a planned mating. Their mating was strictly primal. We did not want puppies, but also did not take the necessary measures to avoid it. Keeping dogs separated while a female is in heat is not foolproof! Capone, especially, is no fool. It was during this time that he learned to open doors (and it's since been his favorite thing to do!) 


In my 36 years of life, I did not know the process of dogs having a successful mating. So when I found my dogs stuck together (tied, being the technical term), I did what any normal, unknowing human would do- I cried. After struggling with my pets to get un-stuck, unsuccessfully, I belly crawled up the stairs, and called our local vet for immediate emergency assistance. After repeatedly asking me to calm down so he could understand me through my sobs, it was explained to me that I've been in the dark my whole life- that this is natural, that we have a 98% chance of having puppies.. and that it's my fault.



Fast forward.

John and I chose to cling on to the 2% chance that Remi was not having puppies. We were wrong. Then we got into a mental space of preparing for puppies. We're gonna be alright- we have a few months!! No, we don't.... wrong. wrong. wrong. Dogs have a 2 month gestation period. So WRONG, all the damn time! 

It will be okay. We meet hard work, head on. We start researching- we read articles, consult with professional breeders, our vet, we watch YouTube videos. So much learning, so little time. Because guess what, puppies are here. John and I were awake to monitor Remi's delivery at 2am on January 10th, and sleeping was only a state of mind for quite some time afterward.


Remi did really well at first. She had mommy instinct even though you could tell she was a bit confused about life. Over the next few weeks, she appeared to be getting overwhelmed. She wasn't necessarily rejecting her puppies, but she would definitely spend less time hovering over them. I noticed her belly looked slightly irritated. The vet confirmed that she was in the beginning stages of developing mastitis. Ugh. Luckily, we were proactive in this diagnosis and treatment, but it did mean longer days and nights for supplemental feedings to make sure that our puppies thrive. And, in case you're wondering... they THRIVED.


My daily routine for 2 months had been to wake up (from a half sleep), directly to cleaning up poop. After their area was cleaned and dry, I fed the puppies. I drank a cup of coffee. I got my ever so patient kids ready for the day, and then it was off to clean up after the puppies again. They played, I worked. I fed them just before lunch. Then!!! I would clean up their poop again. They slept, I worked. I picked up the kids at school. Came back, I'm cleaning up more poop. They all played. I worked. They ate, they pooped. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat until bedtime. Repeat until the only normal left, was puppy normal. I'd cry! I called the vet like he was a therapist or something. My house belonged to puppies. None of my new normal explains half of what it was like to raise 10 puppies and make sure that they were healthy, physically and emotionally. It does not describe the vet visits- transporting 10 puppies, for checkups and vaccinations. It does not explain the time, energy, and borderline uncomfortable spending that went into raising a healthy litter. They were wonderfully sweet! I am thankful for that. But all aspects considered, it was the most cumbersome experience of my life.


Remi has since been spayed. We celebrated! Our puppies found amazing homes. There are days when we miss them! We do not miss the poop. And as for Remi and Capone, I can't read their minds, but it's safe to say that they enjoy having the attention all to themselves again.


If you have a dog that you love, think about where they came from. What was their journey before you found each other? Sometimes the journey is not a pleasant one for our fur family member. Thank God they found you! And sometimes, they are born into loving homes. In Remi and Capone's story, we did our very best to give each puppy a happy beginning and match them with a family who will continue that sentiment. It was not easy! Breeders who do this for a living, who are thoughtful in their selections, and plan matings based on SO MANY contributing factors; who raise puppies as a passion, and tend to them, not as an obligation, but as a life purpose- you are the MVP, here. We MUST also celebrate the animal shelters, rescues, and animal activist organizations, stacked with volunteers and underpaid staff members who dedicate themselves to the cause of connecting animals with worthy families. Thank you all for such hard work and endless compassion.


I, personally will not endure another puppy chapter. And I think my family will be okay with that. But they were definitely an experience we will never forget! And I'm glad we were able to capture the cuter moments in these images. 

Thank you to Miriam Wolf at Five Oceans Photography for always delivering ❤️








No comments

Powered by Blogger.